In NDOT's ongoing mission to keep the commuters of Nevada safe, we are installing new advanced traffic signals across the Truckee Meadows.
Traditional traffic signal backplates are black. The new traffic signal backplates are framed with a retroreflective and conspicuous yellow border.
- Retroreflective borders improve the visibility of the illuminated face of the signal.
- The color contrast to the rest of the light visually grabs driver attention to follow the signal.
- Since it is also retroreflective, the yellow border reflects light for even more visibility.
- Retroreflective backplates have proven helpful for both older and color vision deficient drivers.
- They can also help cue drivers to notice the signal in the event of power outages when the signal is otherwise dark.
Studies have shown that the retroreflective backplates can reduce crashes by 15%. One of the most serious traffic problems in the country is red-light running, which causes an estimated 200,000+ accidents and 900 deaths per year nationwide. In Nevada, 286 people died in intersection crashes from 2013-2017.
Intersection Safety Tips
The retroreflective backplates are already in place at some intersections in Nevada, and additional traffic signals will be retrofitted by NDOT and our transportation partners.