NDOT and the City of Ely are reconstructing deteriorated local roadways and upgrading the city’s water and sewer facilities. Improvements will be made to Aultman Street, Great Basin Boulevard, and U.S. 6 in Ely. Planned improvements include a “complete streets” concept to reconstruct sections of Aultman Street and Great Basin Boulevard and reconfigure lanes to provide a safer route for drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists.
Outside city limits, US 50 from Ruth/Kimberly Road to Ely will receive roadway rehabilitation and shoulder stabilization. Within the city, the following improvements will be provided:
- Roadway reconstruction
- Lane reconfiguration
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)/sidewalk/curb and gutter improvements
- Flashing beacon pedestrian crossings
- Drainage improvements
- Water and sewer pipeline replacement
- Fiber optic installation
- Traffic signal improvements
A project fact sheet is also available to the public.
Project improvements are anticipated to begin in 2020, followed by two years of phased construction.
A public meeting will be held on August 7, 2019 to provide project information. Click here for information.
Preliminary design for the project has been completed, and the team has moved to the intermediate phase of project design. As roadway and landscape/aesthetics efforts progress, here is an update on ongoing utility and survey work:
- Trenching across roadways to identify and survey utilities has been completed.
- Ground-penetrating radar and survey of existing utilities has been completed.
- Ground-penetrating radar and survey of historical underground features has been completed.
- Video of sewer and storm drain facilities has been completed.
- Potholing operations and survey continue and are expected to be complete by the end of October.
Jae Pullen, Project Manager, Nevada Department of Transportation