COVID-19: Those recently diagnosed/exhibiting virus symptoms advised to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Nevadans urged to avoid unnecessary travel to greatest extent possible. Click here

Signs and Billboards

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

billboardWhile billboards cannot be located on Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) right-of-way, NDOT issues permits for billboards installed near National Highway System routes outside of State right-of-way.

Available Forms

Application Process

To begin the application process, start by clicking on the "Sign Permit Application" link above and completing all required information.

Application Details

Applications must be submitted in the name of the sign owner, not the land owner.

Fill out the name of the property owner and attach a copy of a signed consent from the land owner. This can be in the form of a letter, affidavit or lease.

Provide the sign location by city, highway route and side of the highway. This location should be one that the Inspector can use to locate the proposed sign site (i.e., 385’ north of milepost 23, 1500’ east of Acme Drive, south side of Winnemucca Motel, etc.). Indicate the type of construction material and whether the sign is illuminated or not.

Note: If you are installing a Commercial Electronic Variable Message Sign, include the Supplemental Commercial Electronic Variable Message Sign Application with your submittal.

The sign owner or the owner’s agent must sign and give their title, printed name, telephone and tax ID. If the tax ID is the Social Security Number, do not put the number on the form, as it will become public record. You may leave the tax ID blank in that case.

For land that is zoned, the local zoning authority must fill out, sign and date the Zoning Affidavit portion of the application. All blanks must be filled in. If there are any actions that are listed in the Zoning Affidavit portion, please include them with the application or processing will be delayed. This must be signed and dated within three (3) months of when the application is submitted to NDOT.

Note: Some commercial zones are not considered conforming and may require special attention and approvals.

For land that is not zoned, the Applicant must include a sketch map that shows that the sign is within a qualifying zone (outlined in NAC 410.320) of an operating business on either side of the highway. The area considered as a qualifying zone is the frontage of the business to 600 feet on either side of business frontage measured along the shoulder of the highway. The business must be within 660 feet of the highway.


Application fees are $200.  This amount includes $150 for inspection and $50 for the annual permit fee for the first year.  A $50 annual permit fee will be billed in December of each year the sign remains. 

Supplemental Changeable Message Sign Applications submitted at the time of original Sign Permit Application are free. If the Supplemental Changeable Message Sign Application is submitted separately, a fee of $800 will apply.

Sign Permit Applications should be submitted to one of the following locations (nearest the sign):

Las Vegas (includes Tonopah and Caliente)

123 E. Washington Avenue
Las Vegas, NV 89101
(702) 385-6500

Reno (includes Carson City)

310 Galletti Way
Sparks, NV 89431
(775) 834-8300


725 W. 4th Street
Winnemucca, NV 89445
(775) 623-8015


1951 Idaho Street
Elko, NV 89801
(775) 777-2700


1401 East Aultman Street
Ely, NV 89301
(775) 289-1706

Political Signs

For information regarding posting of political signs near state roads, please visit our political sign page.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer