Nevadans urged to avoid travel to greatest extend practicable. Click here



Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permits_NeededEnsuring the protection of the traveling public and ease of mobility to all users of Nevada roadways is one of the Nevada Department of Transportation's (NDOT) highest goals.  One way NDOT accomplishes this goal is by requiring permits for all uses outside of "normal" travel.  Occupancy Permits are necessary for granting use of State roadway for a temporary event, permanent utility or development work within State right-of-way.  

In addition to Occupancy Permits, NDOT requires Trucker Operation Permits; listed below are links to the appropriate sites to get more information.

Right-of-Way Occupancy Permits

Permanent Encroachment
See Permanent Encroachments on the Occupancy Permits page for information.

Temporary Occupancy
Hazardous clean-up, parades, vehicle rallies, races, photography or filming and other temporary uses, including temporary construction access. See Temporary Occupancy Permit page for information.

While billboards can not be located on NDOT right-of-way, NDOT issues permits for billboards installed near National Highway System routes outside of state right-of-way. See Sign/Billboard Permits page for information.

Political signs
No political sign can be placed within state highway rights-of-way. See Political Sign Rules & Regulations page for information.

Telecom Installations
The Nevada Department of Transportation will process applications for telecommunication facilities in state highway rights-of-way pursuant to NAC 408 (effective 11/1/01). See Telecommunications Permit Installations page for information.

For detailed information, refer to the Terms & Conditions Relating to Right-of-Way Occupancy Permits and 
Revocable Occupancy Permit Application

For NDOT Design, Specifications and Standards refer to Documents and Publications.

Trucker Operation Permits

NDOT manages over-sized or overweight, non-reducible (non-divisible) vehicles and loads traveling anywhere in Nevada as well as reducible (divisible) vehicles and loads that are 70 feet or less in length and exceeding 80,000 pounds. See Over-Dimensional Permits page for information

Longer Combination Vehicles
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Motor Carrier Division manages reducible (divisible) vehicles and loads over 70 feet in length.

US DOT Commercial Vehicle Number These permits are obtained through the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.