NDOT is required to comply with various nondiscrimination laws & regulations, including Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which provides: "No person in the United States shall, on the grounds of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal assistance under this title or carried out under this title."
Pursuant to FHWA & FTA regulations, NDOT must update its Title VI Program Plan occasionally. In compliance with those laws & regulations, NDOT recently completed a major overhaul of our Title VI Program Plan which has been approved by the FHWA. While it is a "final" document, it is also intended to be a living document that is updated as needed & appropriate. Please review & submit any comments or concerns you may have to NDOT's Civil Rights Officer.
- NDOT 2016 TITLE VI PROGRAM PLAN (FHWA)
- 2015 NDOT Transit Title VI (FTA)
- Title VI Complaint Procedures
- Title VI Complaint Form
- Title VI Notice
Types of Contracts to Which the Civil Rights Act of 1964 Applies
Section 324 of title 23 U.S.C., the Civil Rights Act of 1964, & the implementing regulations of the Department of Transportation (49 CFR part 21), including the provisions of paragraphs (2)(iii) & (2)(v) of appendix C thereof relative to employment practices, are applicable to the following types of contracts awarded by State highway departments, contractors, & first tier subcontractors, including those who supply materials & lease equipment:
- Highway Safety
- Property Management
- Fee contracts & other commitments with persons for services incidental to the acquisition of right-of-way including, but not limited to:
- Advertising contracts
- Agreements for economic studies
- Contracts for surveys & plats
- Contracts for appraisal services & expert witness fees
- Contracts to negotiate for the acquisition of right-of-way
- Contracts for disposal of improvement & property management services
- Contracts for employment of fee attorneys for right-of-way procurement, or preparation & trial of condemnation cases
- Contracts for escrow & closing services
If you or someone you know believes themselves to be the victim of discrimination, please see our Title VI Complaint Form. Simply print, fill out and send as appropriate to the Civil Rights Officer on the Contact Us page.