The NDOT Geotechnical Section is organized into two groups. The administration is comprised of two managers, each in charge of one group, and an administrator over the entire Section. One manager oversees three Geotechnical Engineers and the Geotechnical Laboratory, while the other manager oversees two Geotechnical Engineers and the Exploration Crew.
The engineering staff conducts full designs for in-house projects, and performs consultant review on outsourced projects. For in-house projects, the engineers develop each project from preliminary reconnaissance through site investigation, testing, and analysis, culminating in a final design presented in a Geotechnical Report.
The Geotechnical Laboratory conducts a full range of geotechnical tests on sampled materials, providing design and construction information to the Materials Division. The majority of tests performed consist of: R-Value; direct, simple, and triaxial shear; consolidation; hydrometer and chemical tests. Another laboratory in the Materials Division provides particle size analysis (gradations) and Atterberg Limits (P.I.).
The Exploration Crew performs both material site and foundation investigations, using multiple crews with several excavators and drill rigs statewide.
- List of Geotechnical Reports
Nevada Department of Transportation
1263 South Stewart Street
Carson City, Nevada 89712
- Subsurface Investigation including Soil Sampling, Rock Coring, and In-situ Testing
- Geotechnical Laboratory Soil Sample Testing
- Geotechnical Design and Construction Assistance for Projects
- Geotechnical Analysis and Design of Drilled Shafts
- Geotechnical Analysis and Design of Driven Piles
- Geotechnical Analysis and Design of Micropiles
- Geotechnical Analysis and Design of MSE, Soil Nail, Cantilever, Tieback and other Retaining Walls
- Conducting Slope Inspections, Ratings, and Database Inventory
- Developing Recommendations for Rockfall Mitigation
- Landslide Investigation and Developing Stabilization Recommendations
- Designing Separation and Stabilization Mitigations using Geotextile for Soft Saturated Soils
- Installation and monitoring of groundwater levels using monitoring wells
- Installation and monitoring using instrumentation, such as Slope Inclinometer equipment
- Writing and Reviewing Geotechnical Reports, Specifications, and Plan Details
- Assisting Roadway Maintenance Personnel for geotechnical problems or during emergencies
- Investigations for Roadway Cut and Fill characteristics for road widening and embankment construction
- Investigations for excavation and infiltration of detention basins, infiltration basins, and settlement basins