I-580 / U.S. 395
Carson City Freeway Project
Current Project Update
Phase 2 of the Carson City Freeway will add the remaining 4.9 miles of controlled access freeway from U.S. 50 East to the southern connection at the existing U.S. 50 West - Tahoe Junction / Carson Street intersection. The Freeway will also be designed for two lanes in each direction with provisions for future widening in the median.
Construct Freeway from Fairview Drive to South Carson Street (Phase 2B-3)
Phase 2B-3 will construct the freeway from Fairview Drive to the signal at US 50/South Carson Street. Upon completion of this phase, the freeway will be open for travelers to use between Fairview Drive and South Carson Street. This project advertised in March of 2015 and will begin construction in late spring/early summer 2015. The construction duration for Phase 2B-3 is anticipated to last approximately 24 months (two construction seasons) and will consist of the following elements:
- A four-legged at grade signalized intersection at US 50/South Carson Street
- All remaining drainage facilities for roadway and offsite storm water runoff on the project, including drainage channels, a detention basin and box culverts
- Roadway earthwork and final grading from Fairview Drive Interchange to South Carson Street, including major excavation and embankment.
- Roadway paving
- Sound walls
- Signals, lighting, signing and pavement striping
- Construction of sound walls
Phase 1 of the project constructed the northern half of the Carson City Freeway. This approximately four-mile portion of the project starts north of Carson City near the East Lake Boulevard interchange in Washoe Valley. Existing U.S. 395 was widened in the northbound direction to provide for the addition of a truck-climbing lane up and over the hill coming out of Carson City to the East Lake Boulevard interchange. A median barrier rail was installed in this location to enhance safety. After connecting into existing U.S. 395 near Bonanza Road in north Carson, the freeway continues on new alignment to the point where it intersects with U.S. 50 East.
Avenue Bridge, Grading and Drainage Improvements (Phase 2B-2)
began construction in early 2013 and completed in summer 2014. This phase of
the Carson City Freeway consists of the following elements:
• Grade separated crossing (no freeway access) at Snyder Avenue, with Snyder
Avenue constructed over the future freeway.
• Drainage facilities for roadway and offsite storm water runoff in the
southern leg of the project, including drainage channels, detention basins and
• Roadway grading in the southern leg of the project to accommodate drainage
and utilize fill material from detention basins.
• Relocation of Carson City’s utility facilities impacted by construction.
• Completion of I-580 from Reno to Carson City
• Connect Carson City, the state’s capital, to the Interstate System
• Decrease congestion
• Shorter commute times
• Improve safety
• Accommodate projected local traffic
• Meet stakeholder/public transportation expectations
• Reduce idling and vehicle emissions
• Beautify the corridor
Carson Street Interchange and Final Freeway Connection to US 50 (Phase 2B-4) Phase 2B-4, pending availability of funding, is expected to
advertise for construction in the mid to late 2020's. Upon completion of Phase
2B-4, the construction of the I-580/U.S. 395 Carson City Freeway Project will
be complete. This phase of the Carson City Freeway will construct the
interchange at South Carson Street and consists of all remaining construction
elements for the Carson City Freeway project, including:
- South Carson Street
interchange; including the construction of bridges over South Carson
- Roadway earthwork and final
grading on the west side of South Carson Street
- Roadway paving
- Retaining walls
- Signals, lighting, signing and