Permit Conditions and Restrictions
These are the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) specific rules, restrictions and instructions that guide our permit agents in properly preparing your ODV and LCV permits. Every permittee is responsible for understanding and obeying these conditions and restrictions because they implement State and Federal Laws and Regulations.
Current Statutes and Regulations
Recent Changes to NRS or NAC
- R156-06A: Revised provisions concerning suspension of permit privileges; required ODV permittee to coordinate utilities, escorts and traffic control with the appropriate law enforcement agencies; Adopted into NAC 484 September 29, 2006; Effective November 11, 2006.
- R157-06A: Revised provisions governing the transfer of permits to other vehicles, and pilot car escort and load requirements, signage and lighting; Adopted into NAC 484 September 29, 2006; Effective November 11, 2006.
- R161-07A: Revised ODV permit requirements; Adopted into NAC 484 April 4, 2008; Effective June 17, 2008.
- AB 372/BDR 43-1015: Requires carriers greater than 10,000 pounds to register; Passed by 2009 Legislature; Effective July 1, 2009.
- Early 2010, NRS 484 (Traffic Laws) was administratively reorganized into five new chapters:
- NRS 484A: Traffic Laws Generally
- NRS 484B: Rules of the Road
- NRS 484C: Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or a Prohibited Substance
- NRS 484D: Equipment, Inspections and Size, Weight and Load of Vehicles
- NRS 484E: Accidents and Reports of Accidents
- NRS 484 links above will provide direct access to the old and new sections. There were no substantive changes to the laws themselves.
- SB 48/BDR 43-485 (Proposed): Revisions to oversize/overweight vehicle permit requirements and conditions; Not passed by 2011 Legislature.
- R037-11A: Expands number of LCV permitting periods; Adopted into NAC 706 on September 23, 2011.
- R070-12P (Proposed): Changes to rules for non-reducible, over-dimensional vehicle permit requirements and conditions; Workshops May 29 & June 7, 2012; Hearing July 27, 2012.
- See also DMV Motor Carrier.
Escort Information and Guidelines
Hazardous Material and Radioactive Material Information
Current Letters of Instruction